This is not a journey we ever imagined that we would be traveling. Especially not with our precious little girl. But here we are, trying to take it one step at a time.
It is hard to know where to begin. Here is a glimpse into the past few days:
Thursday afternoon we went to an appointment to make sure Cora’s ear infections had cleared up. Joel decided to come along because we were frustrated that she kept getting sick. I felt like she just wasn’t herself and we had noticed a few things we were concerned about. Cora’s stomach seemed very tight, she had gotten two “mystery” black eyes recently, and she wasn’t eating very much. Our pediatrician decided to do some blood work and x-ray her abdomen. After lots of waiting he came back into our room with tears in his eyes. He told us that from the x-ray he could tell that Cora’s liver was enlarged. He said there is a chance it could be nothing, but in his experience it is usually related to cancer. We left his office in shock and headed straight to Wesley. I don’t think Joel and I hardly said a word to each other the whole way to Wichita. We just cried.
We checked Cora into Wesley. She was so tired and hungry, but such a trooper. By this point she started crying every time she saw a nurse. She knew they were going to poke her and she didn’t like it! She had a CT scan late that evening. By 11:30 that night we knew that she had a “mass” by her kidney and spots on her liver. They told us that they would go ahead and give her an IV at 6:00 the next morning in case of surgeory. We had to go to bed not knowing much else until we could talk to the specialists the next morning. We didn’t sleep much!
Cora got to eat at 5:30am Friday morning and then got her IV at 6:00am. We tried to keep her busy the rest of the morning. The surgeon and oncologist came to talk to us around 9:30am. From the CT scan they could see a tumor next to her kidney and spots on her liver. Cora would need surgery to remove the tumor, take a bone marrow sample, and put a cath in for chemo treatments.
Sunday morning Cora had another small surgery to put tubes in her ears. Our pediatrician recommended that we do that while we were here at the hospital. Cora’s immune system will be compromised whe she starts chemo and he didn’t want her dealing with more ear infections on top of the cancer. The surgeons are very happy with how she is recovering from surgery.